Asbury Heights has been providing quality, compassionate care to older adults for over 100 years.
In 1908, Samuel Hamilton willed $25,000 to The Pittsburgh Conference of The Methodist Episcopal Church to establish a home for aged people to be called the “Frances Campbell Hamilton Methodist Episcopal Memorial Home for the Aged.” Mr. Hamilton’s desire was to honor his wife who was devoted to the mission of helping all people. A three story brick home in Dravosburg was purchased and remodeled as a home for the “aged,” with a capacity of 18 persons. The first residents were admitted on January 24, 1910. The residence was supported by the churches of the Pittsburgh Conference of The Methodist Episcopal Church, now known as The United Methodist Church.
By the mid 1920s, the need to be able to care for additional persons was growing. On January 12, 1925 the Home’s Board of Managers were instructed to purchase ground for a new site, and to build a new facility, ground and building. The existing 27 acre parcel in Mt. Lebanon was purchased and a building erected in 1926. The building was named in honor of Frances Campbell Hamilton, and the new facility renamed The Methodist Hospital and Home for the Aged.
At one time, it was hoped that the Home could also become a fully equipped hospital. This was impossible to do during the economically challenging years of the 1930s, but a legacy given by William E. Conroy of $600,000 was available and, at the direction of his widow, was used to build Conroy Hall, which was dedicated on January 29, 1939. The existing structure of today was taking shape.
As the needs and demographics of our service area changed, Asbury Heights changed with them. In 1987, we constructed additional independent senior living apartments, a second nursing home living facility and the Asbury Mall. In 1994, we completed the Wesley Hills carriage homes along Bower Hill Road, and in 1997 we added Asbury Place, a secure yet unconfined personal care community for residents needing memory support.
In response to the aging population’s request for a different level of long term care, Asbury Heights added Asbury Villas, personal care apartments, in 2001. With no additional developable land available on Asbury’s main campus, the Board of Directors voted to purchase and renovate The Embassy, an independent senior living luxury apartment building on Beverly Road, in Mt. Lebanon, in 2006.
Today, Asbury Heights continues to meet the ever-changing needs of southwestern Pennsylvania seniors with the continuation of Frances Campbell Hamilton's original mission – to improve the lives of older adults through high-quality and compassionate care.
Contact us at 888-424-8404 to learn more.